The less baggage, the more fun! Think like an onion: lots of light layering pieces rather than bulky clothing.
Focus on three layers. The first layer is your base layer. We recommend using functional base layers. If you sweat easily, refrain from wearing cotton as it can get heavy.
The second layer is insulation. Fleece is a great fabric to use in this layer. It’s lightweight but doesn’t let too much cold through.
The third and final layer protects you from the weather. It keeps wind and rain out, and doesn’t let your body get too cold. When choosing cycling clothing, it’s helpful to ask for information at specialist shops or online shops before making a purchase.
- Bicycle helmet: please wear your helmet! Your local bicycle shop will be able to advise you about fit.
- Cycling shorts: a must for anyone cycling for more than three hours a day. They sit on the padding much better, and the jersey dries much more quickly than cotton so it doesn’t stick to the skin.
- Shoes: trainers and cycling shoes - the stiffer the sole, the better the pedalling. Mountainbike shoes come with soles that are ideal for small roads and have good tread. You could also use normal trainers, but you will have to put more effort in.
- Gloves: cycling gloves should have thick gel or cushioned sections on the palms to protect the hands. They also allow you to grip the handlebars more effectively and protect you in the case of a fall.
- Glasses: cycling glasses - dark to protect from the sun + clear to protect from insects at dusk. Either reactive lenses or two different pairs.
- Underwear: If you’re going to be cycling long distances, you should choose functional underwear. These are mostly more comfortable and more effective at wicking moisture away from the body without letting you get too cold.
- T-shirt: It’s also important to choose functional materials here. Cotton tops quickly soak up sweat and become heavy. They also cool the body.
- Jumper: jumpers provide your second layer, and fleece is the best fabric to use - it’s lightweight and dries quickly without cooling the body too much.
- Windbreaker: this should offer optimal protection from the weather, come rain or storm.