Section I approx. 75 km from Tangermünde to Magdeburg
The section between Tangermünde and Magdeburg is defined by untouched nature. Here, there is a pair of storks in almost every village along the Elbe. Beavers also call the floodplain landscape home, making this section of the route one of Germany’s most densely populated stork and beaver habitats - you can cycle through the vast floodplain landscape that has inspired so much world literature.
Even more impressive is the integration of modern, technical buildings into the floodplain. Technology fans will enjoy this part of their journey.
- Tangermünde, the town with the Medieval-looking townscape.
- In Hohenwarthe, you can admire a gigantic traffic infrastructure project set against a majestic landscape.
- Elbe-Parey: Milling under a monk’s robe.
- Shipping yards and seafarers’ homes in Derben are testament to its traditional shipping past on the Elbe.
- Experience the ‘Gartenträume - historical parks in Saxony-Anhalt’ in Tangerhütte.
- Burg’s lovely town centre boasts lots of towers and a history in tanning.
- A huge sundial in the grass that you can walk on - unveiled by the local municipality in honour of the author Fontane in 2006.
- An imposing monastery and Dutch windmills are sure to impress in Jerichow.
- NABU Nature and Adventure Park in Blumenthal - a small zoo and a huge range of activities.
- Magdeburg is a city of inventors and technicians, of academics and students. You are heartily invited to a rendezvous with unique culture, architecture and nature!